Flower Monster – Original Wisteria Dress

My wallflower pose:

This was an original design created for a group at DragonCon 2016. The idea was to create an unique design based upon a flower of our choosing. I had a ton of fun with this costume.

I tracked down 144 stems of silk wisteria from Aliexpress. I reused a ballgown bodice from a previous gown and created a hooped skirt to hold the weight. I used hoop steel for the hoops, ribbon to hold them up and an old belt.

I call this the Grimace phase:

I used several packages of narrow bias binding: Here is the bias tape pined to the bodice bertha:

To make this dress dry cleanable. The flowers were hot glued onto large safety pins and them arranged on the skirt.

Photo by David Skirmont:

Photo of the entire group of lovely flower monsters:


This project turned my sewing room into a florist! What a mess!


1 thought on “Flower Monster – Original Wisteria Dress”

Leave a Comment